Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How To Make a Vocaloid Breathe Using VOCALOID

Someone on YouTube (they will remain anonymous here) wanted to know how to make a Vocaloid breathe using the program, so I wanted to be helpful.

It's actually really easy, once you know how to do it.

When you draw a note, right-click on it and select "note property". Under where it says "phonetic", write br1, br2, etc. (goes from br1-br5 for different types of breaths). You do not have to change the lyric, and it can just be left as "a".

For some Vocaloids, you have to put all the breaths in a separate track.

If you can't hear the breath no matter how much you turn up your volume, you probably need to make the note for the breath longer or shorter, depending on which type of breath it is (br1-br5). You can adjust how loud the breath is with dynamics.

I only own VOCALOID2. I had to uninstall VOCALOID1, because it created problems for me.

Different types of breaths for Miku:

br1 = High-pitched breath.
br2 = High-pitched exhale.
br3 = Same as br1, only more hollow sounding.
br4 = Exaggerated, hollow sounding breath.
br5 = Extremely exaggerated, low-pitched breath.

Different types of breaths for Len:

br1 = Subtle, quiet breath.
br2 = Uneasy breath.
br3 = Extremely exaggerated breath.
br4 = Breath through the nose.
br5 = Hollow breath.

Different types of breaths for Rin:

Same as Miku:

br1 = High-pitched breath.
br2 = High-pitched exhale.
br3 = Same as br1, only more hollow sounding.
br4 = Exaggerated, hollow sounding breath.
br5 = Extremely exaggerated, low-pitched breath.

Different types of breaths for Luka (EDIT: Luka is much quieter in this program than the others, so you probably need to adjust the dynamics or volume on her breaths in order to hear them):

Same as Miku and Rin:

br1 = High-pitched breath.
br2 = High-pitched exhale.
br3 = Same as br1, only more hollow sounding.
br4 = Exaggerated, hollow sounding breath.
br5 = Extremely exaggerated, low-pitched breath.

Different types of breaths for Gakupo ( excuse me if I wrote unnecessary things about these, I just really love Gakupo XD )

br1 = Relaxed breath.
br2 = Slightly strained breath.
br3 = Very uneasy, uncomfortable sounding breath.
br4 = Slightly uneasy breath.
br5 = Very sudden, sexy-sounding breath. (haha sorry)

Different types of breaths for Gumi:

Same as Miku, Rin, and Luka:

br1 = High-pitched breath.
br2 = High-pitched exhale.
br3 = Same as br1, only more hollow sounding.
br4 = Exaggerated, hollow sounding breath.
br5 = Extremely exaggerated, low-pitched breath.

Different types of breaths for Yuki:

Same as Len:

br1 = Subtle, quiet breath.
br2 = Uneasy breath.
br3 = Extremely exaggerated breath.
br4 = Breath through the nose.
br5 = Hollow breath.

Different types of breaths for Hiyama:

br1 = Subtle, quiet breath.
br2 = Uneasy breath.
br3 = Extremely exaggerated breath.
br4 = Sounds as if his mouth is almost completely closed.
br5 = Slightly more hollow than br4.

17 comments:

  1. It seems that br2 on Luka sounds more like an inhale than exhale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you put up samples, I.E. vids or clips that you think have the breathing effect for those new to using VOCALOID or those who doesn't know how to "picture it"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda agress with Anonyomus, uh, #2. How do you know what it sounds like with just adjs.?? My exancent (misspell) stundent is from Japan, who brought VOCALOID on their laptop. I can follow the sounds he let me hear, but I don't really follow you. Sorry!
    Hint:I think I hear Teto Kasane use the breathe on her ver. of KAITO ga Unintsall (just knowen as "Kasne Teto- Uninstall) Also, the VOYAKILOIDS don't breathe. If you know, I'll tel you anyways! Most don't use 'breathe', but that's why they are called the failed ver. I.E Yowane Haku= failed, lower voiced Miku
    Dell Honne= Len after puberty.
    Okey we can all LOL at Dell, but who cares if he's a smoker?! He's awsome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for putting this up, I had problems deciding which breath was needed in this vsq I'm making ^^

    But I think br2 is a quick inhale, because quite a lot of fast song vsqs use it instead of the others. I mean, looking at one vsq, it would be absolutely inhuman to exhale before every phrase and still be able to sing with lack of breath? o_o;;

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome, Mintie. :3 I wanted to be a bit of a help, so I put this up.

    As for everyone else, I'll try to put up a video of how it's done, if I end up with time.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. br1,2,3,4,& 5 on Lily sound like buzzing noises. :C
    has anyone had this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @VocaloidLOVER I think it's cuz of Lily's quality. Very low compared to what we all know she could've beem (then again, she WAS rushed...)

    Also, I'm having trouble. I did this, and after replaying that one second of the song over and over (in the program) it only worked once. o.o; I had Len do br5 and Rin do br1. It worked the second time, not the first or any time after that...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ; u; would it be alright if you did some tutorial/explanations on how to make a vocaloid sound good?
    I just got it and I haven't been able to find anything for V3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have Vocaloid on my computer anymore because I had a pirated version (lol yes I'm evil) and it was letting a huge mondo virus kill my machine. I really wish I could find a way to buy it, since I loved using it.

      I don't think I can help with that; sorry! D:

      What I can say, though, is that the best way to make a Vocaloid sound good and/or realistic is to tweak the parameters. I found good ways to do that by looking at the parameters on existing VSQs.

      http://vocalochu.blogspot.com/2009/12/vsq-list.html

      This blog has some really good VSQs. You can try downloading the ones you like, and seeing if the parameters have been changed. If they have, you can learn good ways to make the Vocaloid voice sound better.

      Delete
  9. Does this work with Vocaloid3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on the voicebank. Both Lily Native and her V3 can use breaths like that, but Lily V3 also had a folder of breaths on her disk, so you can add breaths outside of the program too.

      Delete
  10. This was really helpful! Now I can make GUMI, Miku, etc breathe! Thanks a lot, I can finnish my cover now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a lot for this, it was super helpful and simple! < 3

    ReplyDelete